Friday, January 4, 2013

My quest for a medal.

     I've run a number of road races in my time, but because I've always been a back-of-the-pack runner, I've never received a medal.  My daughter, Lisa, and her husband, Scott, have a collection of medals.  SHELVES of medals.  They have a ROOM to hold their medals, pictures and newspaper clippings - a ROOM!  Me?  Nada!

     But, today is a new day, a new year and another chance to get it right.  Who says I have to run?  While working on a blog titled "Walking to San Francisco," I decided on a loftier goal, one with a deadline and a training schedule I won't be able to fluff off in order to reach that brass ring, the Portland Oregon Marathon Finisher's Medal.

     Wanting to start the new year off right, I headed to the health club to put in the first miles toward my new goal.  I walked 3 miles on the treadmill.  I prefer to walk outdoors, but I also prefer not getting frostbitten!  Already, a miserable cold has sidelined my efforts for a few days, but has also given me a chance to put up this blog, which I hope to fill chock-full of my new walking adventures.

     Aside from the medal, there were a few other factors which influenced my choice of a marathon 3,000 miles from home, which I'll elaborate on in my next post.

     For now, I'll be putting in the miles, with updates here.

     January 1
     3 miles
     Check!

2 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you want....company on this marathon???? Just sayin.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! You da best!!!! I LOVE going on vacation with you! How many othah mothas can say that?

    ReplyDelete